Tuesday 28 February 2012

My Most Interesting Item - Order of the Thistle

My most interesting item: Richard Heathcote 'The Keeper'



Order of the Thistle – carved in wood




This coat of arms carved in wood and painted black, hangs over the doorway at the end of the servants passage.  The Order of the Thistle is the highest Scottish honour usually awarded to heads of state and appointed solely at the prerogative of the reigning monarch.  Only one Australian has ever received it and that was Bob Menzies, Australia’s longest serving Prime minister from 1949-1966.

Why on earth is this large object hanging at Carrick Hill?  It is somewhat of a mystery which is I suppose why I like it.  Its motto Nemo-me Impune Lacessit (Latin for ‘No one provokes me with impunity’) is another reason why I like.  It says: don’t pick a fight with me or you’ll pay for it.

Both Ursula Hayward’s (nee Barr Smith) father and Scottish grandfather were offered knighthoods and declined them.  Her father said he had done nothing to earn it and therefore it was against his principles to accept the honour.  On the other hand Bill Hayward, Ursula’s husband, accepted an English honour of Knight Batchelor (CBE) in 1961 for his philanthropic work (St John’s Ambulance Service & creating the Christmas Pageant for the enjoyment of Adelaide families).  Ursula when asked how it felt to be Lady Hayward said it was: ‘worse than having the measles!’

The item is a consummate piece of carving but more importantly for me it represents the two attitudes in one house towards honours and rewards for service etc.  However; both Ursula and Bill were united by their patriotism and support for the British monarchy. Such facts are what I find interesting about the arms of the Thistle with its two rampant unicorns standing on top of the plant symbol for Scotland which is at the same time a weed in our gardens!  It is my most interesting object in the house and a symbol that most visitors would barely give a glance towards as they walk along the servant’s corridor to the café .


1 comment:

  1. The Christmas Pageant is one of the more worthy reasons for bestowing knighthood that I’ve heard of. Well done, Lord Hayward.

    ReplyDelete